PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 01:11
Count von Altibar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden twang. It is also irrelevant that somebody left BMI to join BA a few years ago and now might be 'leapfrogged' on the list. You pays your money and takes your choice as they say. It's not fair by any shape or means but with respect to IFALPA guidelines on seniority lists and mergers it doesn't bode well for them. I see where you're coming from, I had BMED pilots leapfrog me when BMI bought their operation which was also on the verge of bankruptcy. It initially makes you feel hard done by but with thought, I could come to terms with the collective benefit.

Reference Iberia and a potential bankrupt BA merger. It's also irrelevant the financial state of BA in this hypothetical situation with respect to the seniority outcome of the merged lists. You wouldn't be put at the bottom of the list just to be a grateful pilot to have a job. It's the law folks, if you'd bought BMI for £1 after it become insolvent it would be different. Times have changed since the Dan Air debacle, you must learn to adapt.

You will benefit in terms of shortened time to command, increased prosperity for the company in turn leading to better job security and a share in the fiscal dividends. Why the draconian attempt at a one-sided pre-nuptial? It's doomed to fail. As I've mentioned before, the man that uttered the phrase 'no BA pilot will be disadvantaged' wasn't thinking straight. It's simply not possible with the merger of airline seniority lists.