PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 14:00
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies if this is too political and I guess I have far too much time on my hands:

I have an intense dislike for people that use history to reinforce their argument. All it tends to do is divide and build up further hatred. If you go back in time, then how far back do we look? Should we all submit to the Romans and accept they once occupied our country? What about America or even Australia? History has its place and we should all be proud of what happened in days of yore but in my World I much prefer the democratic way of life. Let the people of a country decide their future. Why not call the bluff of Argentina and request the United Nations hold a referendum for the people of both the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar. Let the results be recognised and the future of those countries assured. If any nation then attempts an embargo or invasion then that is an act of war against the United Nations and should not be tolerated.

What on earth did the invading forces expect when they occupied a country that did not want them, did not welcome them and most certainly did not want to be a part of a country that talks a different language, has different cultural values and even drives on the wrong side of the road!!

Much respect to the Argentine soldiers, sailors and airmen that took part in that conflict but let’s let democracy do the fighting, let the will of the people be mightier than that bloody sword that ruins the lives of so many brave young men.

If politicians want to fight, then let them, their sons, their daughters do the dirty work and not our sons or our daughters. Yes I am annoyed particularly after seeing the footage of Tony Blair denounce this conflict and pretend to be a left wing pacifist that abhorred the very thought of Great Britain declaring war on any nation!!!....

Yes my wife and I were on one of the bridges that spans the A38 and yes we were proud to wave our Union Jacks as those brave soldiers and sailors made their way back home after showing the World what we were capable of and STILL capable of!