PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 31st Mar 2012, 22:15
160til4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count,
Whilst agreeing the potential for significant expansion, we all know that this cannot be guaranteed.The expansion may be substantial, but for any of us long enough in the airline world for seniority to matter, there is a huge difference between what might happen and what often actually does. For example, according to the "predicted substantial growth" when I joined my present airline, I would have had a longhaul command 6 years ago rather than being at least a few years away from that even now. So all it would take is any one of an seemingly infinite source of potential external shocks for the industry, and the "massive expansion" so often talked about could easily evaporate overnight. So while talk of a 5 year freeze on BMI guys to give BA pilots a "head start" may sound reasonable, it could easily result in that freeze ending just when any expansion actually does start. For those so convinced of the "huge expansion" the BMI slots will bring, then should they as a group be given a BA doj from the date of integration/merger, surely by their own argument they won`t have to wait long to be moving swiftly up the BA master seniority list?