PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi merger (was Virgin & Balpa - bmi next ?)
Old 31st Mar 2012, 16:43
LHRPony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All recruitment (short haul and long haul) was stopped a few months ago when it was clear the takeover was going ahead (do you think Ba waited until y'day to start planning the integration?) and apparently became clear that flight ops would be significantly over crewed, in the same way a lot of the back office roles are also over crewed. Combine this with Mr Walsh being very clear y'day that there will be reduundancies.
Do you think being a pilot means you will be treated any differently to your ops, marketing, engineering etc when it comes to redundancies? or will they do what the did during the Dan air takeover and say we need 90 ish pilots, the rest were not given contracts? I know one of the guys who was let go during that affair, he's now in Ba as a dep fo many years later, flying with his former dandair fo colleagues who are now long haul capts.
The expansion that everyone talks about with long haul is years away, we can't just rock up and grab a few 777's off the shelf.
No conspiracy or am I claiming to have access to info that isn't already out there (check the balpa forum), but that's what happened before and that's probably what will happen again......meanwhile everyone is bitching about seniority and missing the bigger issue.

For the record I would hate, absolutely hate to see any pilot without a job, baby and regional included.
Maybe the Bmi guys should be putting there energy into that rather than deciding how to cut up the cake without realising the cake just got a lot smaller.
Xwindflirt as unappealing as it would be it would be completely legal for Ba to say we only need x amount of pilots, in exactly the same way Ba can say we longer require the services of baby or regional pilots, why do you think Bmi is a different special case?