PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2012, 01:35
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi blackhand:

Hopefully you are being satirical, as a mechanic I can tell you that his analagy is wrong.
The amount of "force" needed to overcome the friction and torque to "break" the bolt is considerable, perhaps why limp wristed theorists don't actually "work"
Insults eh? All mechanics are good for is turning bolts... don't try to think about physics. My analogy is correct... learn how to spell. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics). You'll see that it does NOT matter what the force applied is... work only happens when you apply a force and move something a certain distance.

What physics courses have you taken? The work equation is taught in high school. To be able to understand what the wikipedia page says about work, you will only require a basic understanding of math. If you know that anything multiplied by zero is equal to zero, you should have no problem understanding the work equation.

Are you saying that if a force is applied to an object that is less than that required to move it, then no work has been done. You must see intuitively that this is a false argument.
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying! And no it's not false. See above.