PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OC Flying/CFI RAF Ternhill 1969/70-ish
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2012, 11:38
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah the petrol station on the crossroads!

I was at the pumps one day in my trusty Morris Minor 803 cc sidevalve engined car - the type with the bar down the windscreen. A car driven by one Pilot Officer Stevie (Wonder) G*&%$e drew up at the otherside and out jumped Stevie. He whipped up the bonnet lid and the engine compartment was on fire! The blonker had put copious amounts of newspaper around the engine to help insulate it in the cold weather and then forgotten to remove it before driving off from base.

This was the day I discovered that adrenalin is probably coloured brown.

With much shouting, gesturing and application of the foam extinguisher, the fire was quickly brought under control and neither Stevie's car nor the forecourt were any the worse for the incident. Subsequently Stevie was given an extra five hours general handling before he got through his FHT.

I swore that if ever I was bobbing about in the oggin and an SAR Whirlwind arrived, I'd check with the winchman and if he said the pilot was Stevie, I'd tell him I'd wait for another helicopter. Unfortunately, when I went to Mount-B, in May 1966, to do my sea survival course we lost a master pilot from Gaydon but that's another story.

O-D