PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The BA Union Thread I
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2012, 08:56
JUAN TRIPP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly this is great news. At last it seems, a real alternative to Bassa. I, at the moment like some others, will hold fire until I've spoken to a few people. ( I agree here with what TorC has said). I'm really really hoping this is going to work out though. One of the biggest things I need to know is are we going to have FULL access to the accounts. I also need to know what kind of agenda and ideas the reps have. If, hopefully its similar to the OLD style of CC89 then I'm in. There are understandably more questions than answers at the moment.

This couldn't have come at a worse time for Bassa IMO.

1) The elections in July could turn out to be very interesting with all sorts of individuals waiting for their moment. When people want to be elected, all kinds of things might be revealed.

2) The impending court cases concerning the Airbus captain. It'll be very interesting to see who is involved, and how, if at all, Unite and/or Bassa ' help' their members. I've a feeling they're in for a bit of a shock.

3) Although around 3000-4000 have left Bassa, it's not us who are the key to the future. As many know, and has been widely mentioned before, around 4000+ more are still members DESPITE not striking and not it seems liking Bassa one little bit. Amongst that figure Bassa inherited many hundreds from CC89. They have sadly fallen for the Bassa fear tactics and are there simply for 'protection'. ( I fly with these people on a daily basis). Now IF just half of those
left UNITE for the GMB, well it will get very interesting. And of course let's not forget MF in all of this.

All of this COULD mean that if Bassa's numbers dwindle, they might be derecognised within 12-18 months. ( after all, the irony is that BA, through the subs going through the payroll, knows exactly how many crew are in Bassa, but of course sadly Bassa stopped revealing the figures over 18 months go)

So this could be the 'Arab Spring' in CC union terms. Who knows. But I'll tell you what, I know who my monies on. Let's all hope the GMB scenario works out, because if they get momentum, then the result is a foregone conclusion.