PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2012, 17:35
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AAIGuy, I'm always interested in this word PROFESSIONAL. It is much abused and misused. You accuse Iceman of not understanding the word PROFESSION, then you yourself go on to show that you don't understand it either!

I'm a pilot. I like to think of myself as being PROFESSIONAL in my job.
But - by definition - I am not A PROFESSIONAL. Nor are most commercial pilots.

The definition of a PROFESSION is wide and varied, you can look it up on Google. You'll find dozens of elements which are supposed to define what is a PROFESSION. One of my own favourites (because for me it perfectly sums up the predicament we find ourselves in) is that a PROFESSIONAL (i.e. one who practices a PROFESSION) controls HIS OWN means of PRODUCTION.

You compared us with Doctors and Lawyers.
I would say a Doctor definitely controls his own means of production (his hands and his brain). So (for the most part) does a Lawyer.
For that matter - so does a Carpenter, or a Bricklayer, a Plumber, an Electrician etc (although these are normally referred to in the diminutive as Tradesmen - because they do not satisfy certain other elements of the term Professional).

I work for an airline. I do not own the aircraft - which is the single tool I need to pursue this occupation. Very few pilots do, outside the Air Taxi/Crop Sprayer/Display pilot cadre. Therefore, technically speaking, none of us are practicing a PROFESSION.

You may not like this opinion - indeed I've had some fairly angry responses from colleagues when I point this out. But like I said earlier - its the main reason we will always be on the back foot in our job. Every single one of us can be put out on the street, and have no hope of ever again practising our chosen 'PROFESSION' without the permission of an aircraft owner.
A PROFESSIONAL with no PROFESSION.
Read it and weep.

That said, I believe the job we do has immense value, and should be suitably remunerated. I would be the last person to turn down a payrise!

But, its not ALL about money.

HKA seems to have plenty of guys willing to sign up.
They are often guys with narrow body experience only, or wide body RHS experience which they hope to convert to LHS widebody experience very quickly. Perhaps they have the required widebody experience already, but now want a TRI or TRE qualification, or even some Management experience. All are available at HKA - at less than the going rate.

These guys have made a career choice to take less than going rate to get the upgrades they seek. Obviously they are playing a long game.
The fun will start when, having acheived their goal and found a new (more lucrative) market for their skills, they will start leaving.

Or will be paid to stay.

Until that happens - you pays your money and takes your chances.

Thats life in the Big Bad World of Aviation.

I'm sure you understand this all too well.

Last edited by Algol; 18th Mar 2012 at 17:48.