PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian media reporting RNoAF Hercules missing
Old 17th Mar 2012, 19:51
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even without severe wind conditions flying in Norway in winter can have its problems.
Back in the late seventies I was flying from Voss across the interior to an area that was in a valley with stacks of railways, roads and a town. It was a gin clear day with no wind so navigation was easy; point it in the right direction and after 45 minutes you will arrive.
I was sitting there; ThiB & MiN looking at a ridge ahead that was the nearside of the valley I was heading for. AllofaSudden the radalt 50' ft warning went off and the shadow of a snowdrift flashed past me. The scenery behind me then registered as a snow covered ridge. I had flown over it without even realising it was there.
I have heard stories, and I can believe them, of people sitting in an aircraft that has just come to a stop for no reason until they realise that they have flown into snowbank.
It is difficult flying in Norway, especialy during the winter and I am in full admiration for those that do it all the time. May they rest in peace.