PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2012, 04:39
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Satisfied Savoia!

This page has been most pleasing (for me at least) inasmuch as there have been several 'home runs' in respect of Rotorheads linked to the aircraft posted and which is enjoyable not only for me but for the photographers too!

I always send the link to the Nostalgia Thread to each of the respective photographers from who permissions have been sought and they frequently email me with various comments of interest and appreciation.

It was great to land upon one of ShyTorque's ex's, ZB625, and remarkable to receive feedback in respect of C-FEDG from Outwest. North American Gazelles are a rarity at the best of times (of which this was, being the late 70's) so that Outwest flew this craft within months of the photo is great fun indeed!

Outwest: How was the bleed air siphoned-off the engine please?

(During my days in 'Niugini' I became quite fit rolling 200 litre drums all around the place, standing them upright (not the ideal scenario in terms of settling I know) and then manually fuelling whatever one was flying. The pumps had a rotary hand mechanism which was actually quite effective. After leaving Rotorwork and joining Pacific I happened upon a couple of electric pumps which could be connected to the battery but only used this once as it was as slow as hell and bothersome to connect).

Most surprising of all was that we dug-up the craft in which CVR had his first helicopter encounter. I was 'sure' there would be no response to N70WT! In the 70's American registered helicopters in the British Isles were uncommon, in fact I was of the belief that this may have been a visiting demonstrator. I'm not sure if you noticed CVR but .. and while I know the early 300's had little 'piglet tails' .. in John's photo 70WT's tail rotor doesn't seem to be visible at all! Re: a copy of the photo I have PM'd you requesting your email so that I may forward a version (larger than the one posted and with John's blessing).

More Decca ..

[Some of this had been 'done' before on a short-lived thread specifically addressing the Decca ship, so apologies if you have read this previously but .. I think its worth consolidating the info here on Nostalgia]

To facilitate the development of lightweight airborne equipment, particularly that destined for helicopters, Decca acquired a Bell 47-G
helicopter from Worldwide Helicopters in 1966 It was used mainly for Decca Mk 15, 19 Doppler 71 and later for Data Link development and testing.

That helicopter was a three seat model powered by a 200 hp Franklin 6V4-200-C32 engine which gave it a cruising speed of 70 knots and an endurance of 2.5 hours. It was equipped with full night flying equipment and a modified instrument panel which included a lightweight artificial horizon, heading indicator and a hovermeter. In the mid 60's it was fitted with a Mk 8 Navigator receiver, a flight log, and a well as a series 70 light-weight Doppler. During this time period it was also used in the evelopment program for the Doppler 70 series, Doppler 80 series and the Mk 15/19 Decca Navigator.

Decca Doppler for helicopters was proving to be of great interest to everyone in that particular field so Decca did a lot of demonstrating. The receiver aerial was no more than a foot from the ground and without even flying, one could slide along the grass and get a reading of half a knot or less. The output was coupled to a speed meter and a cross pointer meter so that it was even possible to hover blind.

Peter Huggins relates this flying anecdote. "In May of 1966 I was bringing the helicopter back from the Air Show at Hanover in a howling South West wind. It was a slow progress having flown from Hanover to Osnabruk to Nornhorn to Hilversum. From Hilversum to Rotterdam was dead into gale force winds and it took me one hour and fifteen minutes to fly a distance of 35 miles. I was flying as low as I dared to get the lowest head wind possible when something caught my eye below and I found that I was being overtaken by a frightened cow! I was almost stationary at the time".

Peter flew the helicopter occasionally but the main pilot was Edward A. Hood, also known by the nickname of "Robin Hood.” Edward was a pipe smoker and would sometimes puff away when flying, much to the chagrin of any passenger. It is not known how long Decca kept the helicopter but the Civil Aviation Authority records indicate that G-ARIA was registered to the Arabian Aircraft Corporation in Brighton in May, 1984. By March 1987 the Bell 47-G was and transferred to France since the C-of-A expired in February 1986.

Decca Navigator Co's Bell 47G G-ARIA at London Gatwick on 12th October 1967 (Photo: Chris England)

ARIA's panel

Still searching for anyone who may know what the device was along the top of the tail rotor driveshaft in the Whirlwind photos. In the version I posted the device seems to be uncovered but in the images from Senior Pilot it is housed under a small white dome!