PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has your UK CAA I/R lapsed by more than 7/6/3 years?
Old 7th Mar 2012, 06:53
frankie777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Loss of IR qualification after seven years

Hi Guys. Myself and a number of my colleagues are directly affected by the 2010 change to Lasors. I renewed my UK ATPL to a JAA licence FCL ATPL in April 2009 on the back of a SEP Land Certificate of revalidation. I have been out of the UK working for EK on the B777 for approaching ten years. Like many people the various ratings on my JAA ATPL have expired by more then five years but I presumed that this would not be a problem as I could revalidate on my return to the UK, and I was able to renew my licence on a PA28 based on the SEP class.
At the time I renewed there was no mention of the fact that I should renew my IR or lose it after seven years. Now I read that in order to renew I will have to complete all the written exams again and take a flight test with a CAA examiner. This is ridiculous based on the fact that I and others currently fly four hundred people over the city of london in visibility sometimes down to 75 metres on a regular basis perefctly legally and in accordance with our ICAO valid licence.
The Training we recieve here is based on JAA and certainly meets the same standards or higher as if I was still based in the UK.
To put this in perspective. Can you imagine going abroad as a Surgeon and then returning to the UK to find that you had to take your medical exams again and return to being a House DR. This would be blown away by the Medical authority's let alone the unions.
I recently flew with a Dutch FO who stated that to put the 777 on his licence required him showing the Dutch authorities evidence of his last PPC and logbook hours and the rating was placed in his licence.
I personally believe the CAA is obligated to inform licence holders of significant changes to Licencing requirements which is why they are telling us all about the new EASA requirements coming in to effect in April. They did not do the same in this IR case.
I presume there must be many pilots in various company's around the globe affected by this decision. Maybe rejoining BALPA and taking action together is the way forward.
Any suggestions from those affected will be appreciated.