PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 20th Feb 2012, 21:40
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to present what the a/c did right, and what the pilots (obviuousy, not even

RR NDB

Frustrating. All along, here, I have noticed a tendency for many to present what the a/c did right, and what the pilots bitched up. Odd, since there is ample fuel to go around both ways. I appreciate your take on the matter at hand. I recall that the UAS here, was the 33rd in a recorded sequence, and yet there seems a lack of urgency on the part of the line and the airframe side to give it proper credence.

No awareness of the cause of the a/p drop is apparent in the CVR. Yet wouldn't both pilots be quite aware of the progress of the flightpath and attendant parameters? "What's with the speeds"? "G is constant, noise level is ok, wtf?"

Hamburt says the a/c was in ALII immediately, yet the pilot makes no mention of the degradation in Law, merely, "I have the controls." Something so important, along with a notice of fluctuating IAS deserves not a mention? No discussion of the handling differences twixt NL and ALII? "Watch your lateral, remember the bank is touchy in this regime". No Protection, etc. Only, "Lost the speeds, Alternate Law". And that many seconds after the PF has started hand flying?

What about the several seconds prior to a/p drop? Would the a/c, in autoflight, not react to ADR with "corrections" noticeable on the flight deck? No flight path changes? Nothing untoward due faulty sensors, just a cavalry charge instant? And wouldn't these excursions produce a heightened sense of awareness in our pilots?

It is so hard to imagine such a quiet, passive, and reactive flight deck. It only starts to appear real when the a/c is already in dire trouble, banking to and fro, climbing way too quickly, etc. Something is missing here, if only a completely lacking CRM. Reading for on toward three years about this has not lessened my sense of a very incomplete story presented by the authority.

Ultimately, not even BEA will present "This is what happened".

(And my favorite. "Less is more." Mies van der rohe)