PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Cadet Contracts
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2012, 09:29
Doug the Head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need to return to a range of recruiting options - i.e. ex-instructors, ex-military, ex-North Sea helicopters, ex-turboprop and current commercial pilots from suitable companies. That is the most credible way forward and I am disappointed we have not done that. My own view is that the days of company-sponsored type-ratings are over - you can argue whether that is right or not, but that is the future as I see it. In the meantime we have to recognise that market forces will ultimately decide the future of pilot recruitment.
Well well well, you have some interesting points AdM and believe it or not, I sort or agree with you! Sort of... Where we will most probably disagree is the root cause of all this mess.

IMO there is only one fundamental cause for all this and that is a continuous and enormous oversupply of pilots, more specifically: cadets. In your last sentence you refer to "market forces" but how can you rely on market forces when the supply side has been so enormously manipulated by pilot factories like CTC?

Most low cost airlines could be fine places to work T&C's wise, if it wasn't for a few glorified trainers (with links to management or some flight school...? ) drawing in huge numbers of 200 hour cadets which are now threatening to undermine the entire aviation industry because these nave kids have now maneuvered themselves financially between a rock and a hard place by listening to some "senior training captain" telling them fairy tales!

Your statement that 'the days of company-sponsored type-ratings are over' will indeed become a self fulfilling prophecy....because of people like YOURSELF Alexander!! Wake up and smell the coffee!!!

When will you realize that the more you glorify your orange corporate masters and the cadet route, the more you draw in clueless cadets with huge loans, the worse the T&C's for everybody will get? You've been doing this for years and the results we see today: cadets scams, flexi crews, special SOP's to cover for a lack of skills, line captains babysitting rich kids whilst experienced and type rated pilots are unemployed and passed over for selection. And now you are crying crocodile tears about "a lack of balanced recruitment?" Please!

There are plenty of good, experienced and type rated pilots out there looking for work! The world does not don't need more cadets! Not a single flight will get cancelled if the world stops training cadets for one year, however some airlines might actually be forced to increase T&C's and, heaven forbid: even pay for type ratings themselves! We don't need AdM's son or BB's future son or daughter as CTC cadets! Nobody needs these cadets, except for over sized flying schools, airline managers looking for ways to increase their bonuses or a few PPruNe based training captains (hint hint, wink wink! ) looking for a nice CTC retirement gig!

What this industry needs is a return to a healthy equilibrium of the demand and supply of pilots!