PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 18:21
Danny42C

I've been doing a bit more digging - which I should have done before - and re-read some of the earlier Posts:

(my #2272 P114, expressing disbelief that a USAAC cadet would go to a BFTS after Pearl Harbor) See Bravolima80 (#123 P7) - says 20% of his BFTS course were USAAC Cadets at Terrell in 10/43 - 7/44. Also says course length at BFTS 200 hrs - same as the Arnold schools. Fredjhh (#2321 P117) says normal 50+80 (130) in 1941.

(my #2319 P116), referring back to Reg (RIP) (#326 P17), he says no ALT in PT17 (?). Cliff (#117 P6) says it had Compass, ALT, ASI ?, T&B.

What was in a PT17? Can't remember.

You flew the thing for 60 hours, and you can't remember? I'm afraid so.

For a start, were there any wheel brakes? Or was it like the Tiger, which came to rest by means of a) friction, b) wind resistance, c) grass resistance, d) airman resistance on a wingtip (if you were lucky), e) airmen on both wing tips (if you were very lucky), or f) any solid object in the way (if you were unlucky) - and everything was more solid than a Tiger.

My line manager in Civil Service pre-war had been a Captain in the RFC, flying Camels. He told a tale (couldn't have been a porky, could it?) about one ingenious lad who worked out that his aircraft (type unspecified) would slow quicker if he refitted the tailskid back to front. How did he get off the ground? (Bert didn't say). He landed; his idea worked - but only for the rear end, which parted company from the front half, in which he went into the side of a hangar.

Next question, did the BT-13 have wheelbrakes? I know the AT-6 did!

As far as the PT-17 panel is concerned, there must have been twin ignition switches, an RPM, an ALT (a circuit full of trainees is lethal enough when they're all more or less at the same height; the mind boggles at the idea of them being up and down all over the place). There was certainly no ASI. There were no gyro instruments. I think there was a T&B (needle and ball). I don't think there was a panel compass (and there certainly was no other kind). We didn't do any navigation, anyway. The fuel gauge was a narrow glass (plastic?) tube projecting below the tank in the mid upper wing section. The tank had a float in it, attached to the bottom was a sort of knitting needle going down into the tube. The little knob on the end gave you a rough idea of how much was left. I can't remember a fuel tap at all; an oil pressure gauge might have been useful, but I can't remember one.

There was a map case down the side, but it wasn't for maps. It was a holder for Air Force Form 1, which in spite of its impressive name, was only the equivalent of our Travelling 700. Making sure that this was fastened was a "vital action" before aerobatics!

What sort of seat harness was there? Can't be sure, but it certaily wasn't a "Sutton" harness (RAF) pattern. Think it was some kind of four-point, though. No radio. No intercom of any kind: hand signals plus shouting. Worked well.

As Reg (#127 P7) said, there was a "hand wound" inertia starter, which he said "We" had to wind. We ? - who was in the cockpit ? I can still recall the look of exasperated contempt on the face of a mechanic who'd just sweated his guts out winding it, only for the ham-fisted student fail to "catch" the engine - and he had to do it all over again!

I throw it open, anyone add anything I've missed? - or got wrong?

Danny42C

Last edited by Danny42C; 18th Feb 2012 at 21:12.