PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 18th Feb 2012, 16:35
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcjeant,
You obviously totally missed my point.....
Aircraft and aircraft equipment are designed, certified and manufactured in accordance with airworthiness requirements.
This also applies to pitot probes.

The unfortunate problem in this case is that the certification requirements date back to the stone age...
Both the Thales and Goodrich probes met those ancient requirements, or they would never have been fitted on an aircraft, but the testing conditions no longer match the environment they are used in.

Originally Posted by me
So far, in all the discussions, I've not yet seen a mention of even a 'proposal for rule making' to replace the obsolete certification rules for pitot tubes.
What I was saying is that, so far, I've not yet seen any reports of substantial research into the 'unusual' pitot icing leading to UAS events, or any 'proposals for rule making' based on such research.

Yelling: "design a better mousetrap" is a bit pointless, if you can't state what that 'better mousetrap' is supposed to achieve.....
Ah.... it should be able to trap 'zombie wombats'. Fine, give me a spec describing the size and behaviour of those zombie wombats, and I'll try and design something that might work.....

As an engineer, I design to specs.