PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Cadet Contracts
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2012, 14:34
howflytrg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst the Harrier pilot comes from the single pilot world, the skills and atributes of a modern day glass cockpit FBW MCC CRM and TEM can be instilled. However the LCCs regocnise this as a cost to be metered out to the stag do punter. In such a competitive world, that costs an airline business, hence the debacle we all now face. The 'lower end' joe public punter has no idea how pilots are trained, and may in many cases assume all are ex mil. Many don't care, or care very little for their own safety, as long as they got the cheap deal, more cash in the kitty for Prague.

As the CAA has passed more and more of the regulatory 'buck' over to AOC holders for self governance, it is no wonder such a system now exists.

In going back to the cadet vs Harrier, or any military type, FJ or Transport/rotary, the RAF's own personel were very much in charge of the recruiting decision. Is this guy or girl as low a risk as possible, pre training?
EZY not only use CTC, but also OAA. However, what shocks me is the apparent 'casting off' of any responsibility by Ruth S and her peers, by totally outsourcing the recruitment of such cadets to OAA and Parc! No apparent EZY involvement whatsoever in the recruitment decision. I hope I am very wrong, but having two BA chaps interview a nepthew for a scheme they have nothing to do with (other than providing an interviewing service for parc it would seem) is rather diluting the responsibility EZY has for ensuring the right people are in their flight decks. Of course the scheme in question uses lots of orange branding for yet another contracting position, so it is somewhat misleading that the scheme is not advertised as Parc, in association with OAA (i suppose one does own the other). I would love to see the internal risk assesment applied for that decision.

However, as said. It is what it is. It is up to individuals to look at the fine print and do adequate research. For the record, I have nothing against cadets regardless of license held. I'm all for TP and ex mil types getting a shot at civvi jet jobs, but only if the airlines select the right people, not just those whose families own oil fields! This sadly is all but going on in LCC world. I have even heard of license holders, applying to said schemes, doing everything again at double the debt, just for a sniff. Utter madness, but it seems the LCCs love it!

As another aside, there are no doubt many single pilot fast jet pilots who would not be suitable for a modern day cockpit. As previously mentioned, the flight deck is not a training ground. In this case a training ground for MCC. Many other fast jet pilots would no doubt be suitable, post conversion to civvi street. There are many wrong types in all airlines. It is up to recruitment departments, and the training system to ensure they are filtered out. Just becuase you paid for a license, it does not automatically entile anyone to a job!