PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney ATC and PRM approaches
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2012, 06:25
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Capt Claret, yep no probs, 1st thing, I'm flying a foreign reg aircraft on a foreign license. Secondly, under my SOP's (approved by CASA in order to operate in Oz on a foreign AOC) I apply the most restrictive requirement to comply with achieving the required visual criteria
Lots of people in OZ quote chapter and verse about rules and regulations without ever considering that the same organisation who police these regs and create them, often approve subtle differences for foreign operators...particularly those who have more restrictive rules or company policies i.e. who I work for. (mostly due to the fact that we operate from ILS to ILS or RNAV to RNP etc )

FWIW, the rules I operate under are a carbon copy of the JAR/EASA regs, the kicker in this situation is that I have a company restriction that says I am compelled to use the approach that offers the highest level of safety, regardless of operational expedience, so in order to commence a visual approach I must either have the minimum visibility with the runway environment in sight, or I am within the defined circling area with the runway environment in sight.
There is no ambiguity, it is what it is.
In practice that means we will call visual when we see the runway(cat 1 requirements or better), but will continue to use the ILS for guidance.

Last edited by haughtney1; 16th Feb 2012 at 06:32. Reason: sentence construction