PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Service Training PATH
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2012, 18:49
J McK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished on the PATH programme about 3 weeks ago. Started with a PPL and about 75 hours and completed the rest on the PATH programme. Really enjoyed my time there and found the set up to work very well. I used the Bristol GS notes for the groundschool but they are now using PadPilot but the guys same to be happy with it. The lecturers who take the groundschool couldn't be any more helpful. Their mostly ex RAF guys and have to say they really seem to know their stuff. They provide really good support and any questions all you have to do is ask. AST have a hangar for their engineering students with Jetstream 31, Cessna 310's and a whole host of other stuff including engines, landing gear etc which is a big adavantage when it comes to the aircraft general knowledge side.

The flying side is just as good as the groundschool. Like said above the PPL/hour building is C152/PA38 with the option of paying a bit more and using a PA28 Archer which are very nicely kitted out. CPL is carried out on a Piper Arrow and the ME/IR on Seneca II's. They aren't brand spanking new planes but they fly well, are well kitted out and well maintained. With ACS having an engineering hangar on site any problem which may arise is sorted in no time and 50/150hr checks are carried out without causing disruption to the flying programme. There's also the benefit of a FNPT II sim on site which is also a bonus.

Their is accomodation on site which is very handy. Their is a range of accomodation but I stayed in a 2 bedroom house with one of the other guys on the course and the total cost was £265 per person (fully furnished) per month. There is no council tax to pay due to student status and its approx an extra £30 per month per person for the electricity. The accomodation is reasonably modern and you can find details if you google Morris Leslie and look up the property section.

Like anywhere in the UK the weather can have an effect. Yes there was days where it wasn't flyable but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't really an issue. In fact a think it was a bonus as when the weather did chnage it sharpened up the decision making as well as the flying skills. There's also the benefit of 3 runways, lots of uncotrolled airspace and controlled airspace in the immediate vicinity, VOR on site, ILS/NDB close by at Dundee and the main international airports of EDI and GLA close by providing a real mix of flying and lots of facilities in preparation for the IR.

Overall I could personally thoroughly recommend the PATH programme, nice realxed atmosphere but with the professional attitude and support I thought it was an excellent place to train at.