PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 09:27
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discrimination Against Minorities As A Matter Of Company Policy

easyflyer83 -

I accept your point that the general public is generally unwilling to pay for a fully-inclusive service these days. It is for this reason that certain optional extras such as additional baggage, on-board meals and so on are sold and itemised separately. This is an inconvenience with respect to the speed of the booking process, but I recognise the justification for it. But we must be clear here: those who purchase an optional extra pay exactly the same for it as do their counterparts, and they receive a tangible product in return for their money.

The fine levied against single travellers is entirely different. There is NO enhancement to the product for those targeted by this, and it is not applied equally across customers purchasing an identical product at the same time. Fuel surcharges, whilst objectionable as an 'extra', are at least shared between all customers equally. As a customer, I actually believe that items such as fuel should constitute part of the headline price at all times. I am very happy for airlines to sell travel at a price which covers all costs and allows for a reasonable profit margin, but unavoidable elements of the fare should be included in the first price displayed. They are not an optional extra.

As a regular customer, there are certain things I require from my travel provider. I want a simple booking process which shows the true price at the outset. No tricks, chicanery or spivvery. I want a final price which is fair to provider and customer alike. I want to receive what I have paid for. And, I want to know that the company values my business and will treat me with respect. EasyJet has now spectacularly violated that last requirement. Many singles are very frequent travellers offering a high level of repeat business, as I do myself. But the message I perceive from EasyJet now is this: we see you as easy prey, a soft target. We will discriminate against you and rip you off with a fine which offers you *nothing* in return for the extra money we extract from you.

It is one thing to not offer a frequent flyer programme. But it is quite another to discourage a valuable segment of the market with a discriminatory fine for the crime of traveling alone. This will cost EasyJet goodwill and repeat business from customers of long-standing. Fool me once, shame on you ... fool me twice ...

I do wonder if EasyJet management wish to consider random additional charges levied against travellers on the grounds of race, religion or sexual orientation. Well, apparently outrageous discrimination against one minority group (singles) is fine, so why not others as well? The moral principle is the same; the shameful act of ripping off a specific minority group is identical. Why should widows, nuns, and those who simply choose to travel alone be selected for financial repression in this manner? Where is the justification?

Sadly, I find myself in agreement with Stelios for once. If this despicable attack on the single traveller is indicative of EasyJet management's corporate culture, then indeed they DO NOT deserve a bonus.

SHED.