PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill and Airfields around London
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 08:41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggin Hill and Airfields around London

I'm moving to London. I'll live at Vauxhall Bridge.
I'm looking for a place to base my Cessna 172 around London.
It seems that the only place where hangar space is available is Biggin Hill.
Would another airfield around London have hangar space available?

I drove to Biggin Hill from Vauxhall Bridge, I had to drive 1h30 following the quickest route my GPS found.
Would any of you know a quicker route? Or is 90mn the standard time?

The hangars for small aircrafts in Biggin Hill are on the eastern side of the runway, a 2 miles drive from the main terminal. If I chose to commute via public transportation, would it be easy to get a taxi to drive me to Bromley South, what would be the time I'll have to wait? Would they know how to get there?

My only experience with taxis from GA Airfields is in France, and to get a taxi at Toussus le Noble you have to call several companies until you find one who is willing to work, then you have to explain, several times, where the driver has to pick you up, then you have to wait a totally unpredictable time, from 5 to 50 mn. And then the guy tells you either that he wont drive you to Paris, but at the nearest train station, or that he wont drive you to the nearest train station because its too small a trip, but that he will drive you to Paris. And he will make you feel that driving you is a sort of a favour, as he would have better things to do. That's why I'm asking about Taxis in Biggin Hill.
If you fly to Paris, choose Saint Cyr l'Ecole, it's at a walking distance from the station, and the view of the Chateau de Versailles is included.