PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest on Hainan Airlines
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 03:43
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyinaggie
Has anyone on here done the FAA to Transport Canada license conversion test for an ATP? How did it go?

Also, do you have any books or manuals that you would recommend to study with?

As I understand it, SIC type ratings do not exist with TC, so if I have a few of those and convert the license, will they convert as full PIC type ratings?

All of your SIC ratings will transfer and will show up on your TC license as the aircraft type rating but it doesn't distinguish it from a PIC or SIC. Use that to your advantage!

Additionally, when converting, you have to get your TC medical done first. Your medical license number is your pilot number. if you are in the US, do a search of FAA examiners to see if any are TC medical qualified as well. I did that in my city and found my FAA doc could check off both.

AFter you get the medical done, you then have to take the Canadian ATP test. Take a test prep (highly recommend). They have online study programs that cost about $75-100. You then have to take the exam at a TC test site, which are only in Canada. Once you past the test, you can take the certificate to any TC office and take your FAA licenses, your logbooks to confirm you have hours on each aircraft. The only issue that sometimes comes up with a TC office, which you need to print out ahead of time, so they understand is that the get confused about your ATP license. Many countries, including Canada want to see the ATP license and Instrument Rating (current) on our license. Of course, the FAA ATP includes the Instrument Rating and some TC staff don't understand. I had to have them pull out their manuals to show them, and even though had to argue. To make your life easier, bring the FAA verbiage on what an ATP license entails.

Hope that helps

The above is cut and pasted from one of URGE's posts on Airlinepilotforums. On that forum, he claims to be an A330 Capt at KAL and also has intimate knowledge of AirAsia hiring, getting furloughed from JAL, in addition to some UPS and Fedex posts.

The most interesting was the above. It was about converting an FAA license to a Transport Canada license. In the first line of his response, he appears to know that Transport Canada does not distinguish between FAA logged SIC time, and PIC time, and he states: "Use that to your advantage."

Faker pilot? Falsified PIC? I believe the date of the post was 11-6-2011, just 3 months ago.

I am still betting on a kid, who is doing his background work to someday be a widebody pilot.