PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Buck Alternatives
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2012, 18:56
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
And more Nimrod stuff in the PPruNe archives:

To add to hairyeng's remarks (I must know you hairyeng!), during the Falklands the MR2 carried a retard 1000lb and cluster bombs (BL755?). A test was carried out to assess the suitability of the aircraft to carry the Paveway LGB (one Sunday afternnoon at Lossie IIRC) but I don't know if one was ever actually carried. The Harpoons had to be carried internally because of directional control considerations and as you know the existing hardpoints were utilised for the AIM 9 fit. Harpoon was never carried on the wing pylons.

They were interesting times.
And

A last bit of history- During the Falklands War it was decided to see if the Nimrod could drop 1000lb bombs and a trial was conducted on a range somewhere up in Scotland, Garvie Island I think. It never came to much but I can still remeber the sight that was fitted to the coaming in front of the co-pilot which consisted of a perspex sheet covered with graduated lines which the Co was supposed to use for ranging information. Not very effective in terms of accuracy I feel.
All on here http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...-lgbs-etc.html