PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA spends millions chasing Milton Jones aviation business
Old 21st Jan 2012, 19:20
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The winters Tale.

FF. Thank you for the links, very much appreciated. This is what I was hunting for.

It's amazing 'how' cold blooded facts and the (for want of a better expression) the law works in real life. The 'links' are a pretty tough study, but recommended reading for all who are interested in how the system works and more instructively, what makes it tick.

This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Super Bowl indeed; this is not a simple, clear cut and dried issue, not at all. However, unaccustomed as I am to defending the 'Authority'; the first thing that struck me was none of the allegations mention acting contrary to the approval (s) granted. It is an important point. Even on it's worst day the Authority has always been approachable about 'special' events, awkward airwork exercises and 'stuff' a bit out of the square. For instance.

'Dear Plod. The producers of documentary we are making have asked if we could do a scene showing us towing a water skier behind a Robbie'. 'The guy is an insured stunt skier, the pilot has done 5 zillion towing exercises (flags, banners etc) and we will have safety boats out along a 1 mile stretch of very isolated dam on a private property'. 'What do you think?. Huh ?. 'Best regards Dodgy Ops'.

This achieves two very desirable outcomes. 1 CASA can answer any questions that may be asked of it when, very publicly, a 'perceived' breach of CAR 149 is viewed in a million homes; 2, it provides them an opportunity to have a say in the overall safety of the operation and provides 'cover' to ensure that if it all goes pear shaped, they don't have to mess about prosecuting someone. (Ma'am, I can assure that absolutely no rabbits were harmed in the making of this commercial).

Instead of;

It is alleged that between August 2009 & August 2010, Mr Milton Jones was the pilot in command of a Robinson R22 helicopter registered VH-HZI when he towed a person underneath and behind the helicopter on a water ski endangering the person.

149 Towing Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(5) It is a defence to a prosecution under sub regulation (1) if:
(a) the pilot in command had the written permission of CASA
for the towing; and
(b) the towing was done in accordance with the directions (if any) specified in the permission
Which has now become a 'Reckless and negligent' allegation with 2 years pokey.

The links provided by FF are worth the trouble to read.

To borrow 'the Kelpies' tag. More to follow.

Paulina: "Here's ado to lock up honesty And honor from th' access of gentle visitors."