PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire crash landing in Scotland WW11
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2012, 17:34
El Grifo

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Actually Selkirk is a very small Borders town and where he a was staying was to all intents and purposes, a B+B which did not offer evening meals.

He told me where he was staying and I knew the owner personally.

I am sure he introduced himself by name but that name has long escaped me.

When I called the hotel (B+B) I could have asked for him by name or I could have asked about "the Canadian Gentelman"

I have no reason to doubt his tale, he presented himself as a very polite, cultured, person. I remember his appearance to this day. Not the kind of person one would normally find around the town, very distiguished in appearance, tall, silver haired, shirt and tie, good walking brogues and a long poplin type raincoat, they type favoured by US and Canadian gents at the time.

The town of Selkirk does not really feature on the Tourist map. This fellows presence would not have escaped the notice of the populace.

Within a couple of days he would have become a talking point which in fact he did after my spate of enquiries.

An old farmer from the area had vague memories of a aircraft crash in the area, but could not really fill in any details.

It was only a few years after the event that this thing started to interest me. If I had made more enquiries at the time I might have uncovered more.

I have lived overseas for some 18 years now !