PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating Effect
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2012, 12:17
Journey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal opinion as a TP driver

I propose giving AEPilot a little bit of leeway. They acknowledge that it is a difficult market to get a job and rare to get an opportunity in today's climate. It is a question that could benefit many of us - from those seeking their first foot on the ladder, to experienced turboprop pilots wondering if they are slowly dissappearing down a dead end.

AEPilot: If you are in the final stages of preparation for your type rating I suspect many people reading your post would be surprised this due diligence has not been carried out already, which may explain the reception to your post. I invite everyone to share any useful advice and add to, or contest, my opinions – they are after all only my experience and perception of the industry and not definitive in any way.

if you were assumingly offered a long term turboprop job as your first job would you take it if you have long term goals of switching to jets and the big airlines?
In answer to your hypothetical question, my answer would be an emphatic yes. If you are not working and you are offered a paying job, take it. A long-term turboprop job will offer you many things irrelevant to the aircraft type. Whilst not being an exhaustive list, and other more experienced pilots can no doubt add to this, I'd suggest just some of the benefits to be:
  • a salary;
  • regular instrument flying;
  • exposure to a commercial environment (operating in busy airspace, operational stresses, operational considerations, etc...);
  • SOPs;
  • multi-crew experience;
  • contacts;
  • ability to renew a rating each year;
  • and much more
Probably the greatest benefits of all will be job security for you to be able to concentrate on learning the ropes and not worrying whether you'll have a job in a month or two. A multi-crew aircraft flown with robust SOPs will provide an invaluable foundation for your continued development as an airline pilot.

Consider that as pilots we're constantly evolving and learning, especially for the first few thousand hours. Look on those first few thousand hours as your apprenticeship and get your head down to learn from every pilot you fly with, not just chasing hours. I may be digressing here when I say that I believe this industry is making an unpleasant bed to lie in by moving away from cadetships and apprenticeships, where pilots had a structured environment in which to develop. The emphasis now appears to be on chasing ‘hours’ and accumulating ratings to leap up the pole as fast as possible rather than gaining experience. I doubt aviation is alone in this respect, however I do feel the transfer of financial burden to the prospective pilot is accelerating the need to move up the career ladder rapidly to access a salary that can repay the training costs. I'll leave it at that as arguing about who was at fault for this is akin to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I was just curious at your thoughts regarding the type rating and the effect of turboprop on later job transfer
Turboprop experience would be preferential to no time at all, and there are always different shades of turboprop experience. A C208B is a turboprop. An ATR72 is a turboprop. You could move up on several turboprop types and transition to jets. I believe that flying a modern glass turboprop of a reasonable size (ATR/Dash) would be favorable if looking to make a transition to jets. Flying a Cessna Conquest alone might be less favorable, although excellent experience on it’s own. The caveat for this is that, as you state, no one can really say what are, or will be the requirements for airlines at a given time as those requirements are not static and very much dependent on other factors such as candidate availability.

If there were a multitude of jobs on offer and you could pick and chose, I would advise you to get a jet rating as it will be the quickest path to flying a jet. Obviously I would advise you to go for a position which bonded you over any form of self sponsored type rating. Going straight to jets, I think you’d miss an important part of building a foundation as a pilot; however turboprop time, and multi-engine charter work, etc.. seems to be incredibly undervalued by airlines. The advantage of several thousand hours of turboprop time will not translate into an advantage over a low hour pilot with a jet type rating. Take a look at any recent recruitment. How many experienced turboprop guys got an interview compared to low time guys willing to fund a type-rating?

I disagree with Bearcat when they say "You should be comparing a guy with an ATR rating Vs a guy with no experience on turboprops/ jets, in which case the former would have the advantage." I wish it were so however personally, as a turboprop airline captain, I feel that my experience does not open any doors with jet airlines and does have me questionning the value of commercial operating experience over the financial ability to pay for an SSTR. I feel experience is incredibly valuable however I don't work in HR for an airline, plus I could be accused of being somewhat biased. I can see the short term financial benefits for airlines in favouring individuals willing to self sponsor. So my personal opinion is that the turboprop route does appear to be a bit of a cul-de-sac, unfortunately, unless you are in a company that operates both turboprops and turbojets, where you could stay put for a fair while and work up. I believe it’s unhealthy for the industry and a shame, but no doubt others who can take advantage of the situation will feel it is beneficial. C’est la vie! On the positive side, I really like my current employer, have a good lifestyle, and live in a great place.

Again, nothing is black and white and there are many grey areas. If I were starting again, I’d aim on getting into an operation like FlyBe and staying there for a long while to go through the turboprop stages, onto the jets and eventually jet command. Then have a look around and see if the grass is greener elsewhere. The life you have, and your circumstances in ten to fifteen years, may be very different and may not benefit from moving to another jet job somewhere else. I’m sure every airline has its faults, but they certainly seem to be one of the good ones.

The current pressure on the pilot to self fund each and every stage of career progression has not been explored here, and therefore some may advocate as direct route as possible to jets. Whilst this view is valid, it strengthens my belief in companies that will take you up through the ranks.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jetdriver; 16th Jan 2012 at 11:42.