PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 6th Jan 2012, 16:57
HiWing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hear hear Studi

Im with you. I must say though this is more of a European attitude, the French are great for this, SNPL (France) wouldn't even have a discussion, look at the terms of EJ in France compared to the UK, different gear. No, simple.

Problem is that BALPA and the UK community have shied away from a real fight for years, they are self interested whether they admit it or not, some even do, fair enough, the problem is that the UK management have absolutely zero respect for the pilots because of this.

You are right to mention flex, I can tell you for a fact that the Chairman of big BALPA (an EJ capt) is quite happy for the new guys to get screwed, he has told me this himself.

Of course its about fighting the long fight, and I've seen precious little of this, thats why BALPA membership is dwindling in the UK (read the Xmas email? Please don't leave. --- Its not the money its the rotten culture) and I for one will not be joining, that is a promise. I flew a few years ago with a very nice ex BA capt who said that he and others wrote to BALPA around 15 yrs ago pleading with them to try and stop the influx into the industry, to limit the supply, he says they were rebuffed, it should be so obvious and yet they just don't get it, its about protecting one group, simple.

If BA pilots voted NO, then it really could be the start of a new era, of course it would be tough, probably very tough. Personally I would vote no, you may not believe me but I have done this in similar circumstances in the past.