PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 5th Jan 2012, 16:41
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JW411
Didn't that start a long while ago when the old farts failed to stand up to the BA management's proposal to take on new pilots on a much reduced pension scheme and conditions?

BALPA really helped by supporting the old farts.

What a surprise.
It wasn't just the old farts, it was the young farts too. You can kick, scream, yell, pound the sand or go on strike as much as you want but it won't change one iota the fact that final salary pension schemes don't add up anymore in the UK. Burying your head in the sand won't change that. The oft quoted gas fitters strike didn't save their pension either.

I find it quite disingenuous for BA pilots to blame everything on easyJet and Ryanair when they didn't have the balls to stop what was, in essence, a "B" scale happening in their own company.
See above. It's not about balls, it's about money. There ain't enough to pay unlimited pensions costs and stay in business. No amount of cojones changes that.

I don't think there is one single pilot currently serving in BA who, in the final analysis, is prepared to give up any of his existing conditions in order to support BMI joiners or the chaps in the famous swimming pool.
And why should they? bmi will keep what they've got, BA pilots won't. Why should anyone else dig deep into their own pockets to fund them? I'll reconsider if you start turning over your state pension to people who've had their child benefit cut - all in the name of unity of course. Solidarity brothers!