PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 5th Jan 2012, 12:13
HiWing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terms

Ok, I don't have a say in the vote and sitting on forums isn't how I want to spend my time so heres my thoughts:

1) I can't believe that a decision to merge two airlines rests on pay scales and chipping away at conditions. They're bluffing, BA pilots are scared, BALPA have been caught off guard (not unusual in my experience) and so they'll get this through, they've wanted to address this issue for a long time and this is a neat way of doing it. They have decided that simply on a business case they want to merge the two. Be it service levels or commonality of training or management, I don't know but Id say that they have decided this no matter what.

2) The deal will take quite a while, Virgin will protest as much as possible in the hope of picking up some cheap slots, therefore BA pilots would be wise to bide their time and think about all options.

3) Any B scale will be divisive and will haunt A listers down the line. This is a serious concern, the IPA are garnering support, they'd be well advised to recruit the new B listers and one day BALPA may find itself with a minority of members. I wouldn't join BALPA, its not the money its the principle Ive seen them get this stiff wrong again and again, you've only got to look at their leadership to understand the problems which go right to the core.

4) Everybody wants the business to succeed but you can never believe what you're told, we all have different incentives.

5) You need to draw the line, they asked for a pay cut, you fell back. They asked you to help with the CC strikes you did (a mistake) now a B scale.

It is time you said this far and no further.