PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 4th Jan 2012, 22:53
Fat Dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a hold pooler, who looks likely to get stung by this new pay deal, I wanted to pass comment because none of us are able to have a voice within the BA internal negotiations -

The BA management may dress it up that it is fair to spread a 24 year pay scale across 34 years due to the higher retirement age. Without really thinking about it this seems reasonable. But it absolutely is not. In 15 years time, a 40 year old guy supporting a family still needs the same level of income as a 40 year old guy in the same situation today. Under the new proposals it seems very likely that this won't be the case due to the spreading. This is nothing other than a pay cut for new joiners. The impact on a career income and pension will most probably be enormous.

So a pay cut for new joiners and more hours at work for everyone. I know it is difficult economic times, but as far as I am aware BA is still competing well and generating profits. To me it looks like a blatant management attempt to exploit the situation and portray a problem that isn't really there.

I hope that some current BA pilots will keep the hold poolers in the loop with what is said at any meetings with management. Be interesting to hear
if they can offer any solid numbers to back up what they say.

I sincerely hope that the pay cut isn't passed by the current BA pilots. Especially as it would seem that the management are not exactly offering anything in return. For me, it could be the death knell for the piloting career.
Spot on. Much more serious change than first meets the eye.