PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QRA question
Thread: QRA question
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2012, 14:34
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,583 Likes on 720 Posts
Beagle,

I had something similar during a graveyard shift in mid-winter at CRC Boulmer back in the 80s.

Middle of the night (approx 2am), sitting on the bridge in my overcoat (the AC was designed for a packed bunker to cool the computers, night shifts were arctic) - the RINGO went off with RINGO25 without the test lights around the outside.

By the book I should haves scrambled the Binbrook pair and initiated a sector call out. However, with the world being quiet, and the weather being Red, I called the DC at HQSTC and asked him to check for a fault. Turned out a new Sgt had been experimenting with the comms patch panel.

The way I saw it was that, if I was wrong, in 10-15 minutes, it wouldn't matter, and 2 x F6 wouldn't really have made a difference, even if they found an open airfield in Red conditions to turn around for the manned follow-up attack. If I was right, it would save a lot of embarrassment and a possible headline on the papers.

I never heard another word about it, so I presume the DC didn't write it up, or if he did someone decided to let sleeping dogs lie........