PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOTS Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 15:06
Mars57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOTS 244-246 Courses

Quite by chance I have just come across this forum and in particular this thread.
I was also at AOTS in the period recalled. At that time there were usually three courses in progress. I think that 244 Blue Course (UAS/University entry) and 245 Red Course might have both started at about the same time - mid August 1968. 246 White Course would therefore probably have started in mid September.
My overriding memory is of the high standards of that organisation and of the quality of the instructors.
There was mention of South Cerney by the staff and also of an even earlier incarnation of the school at Jurby in the IOM.
There was certainly some interaction (which went a bit beyond ancient RAF customs like bar propping and extended to, shall we say, friendly and exuberant rivalry on occasion) between all the courses, both in the student (No 2 Officers’) Mess) and outside. For instance I seem to recall a collection of road works signs from the area being ranged along the top of one accommodation block, "accidental" flooding of rooms, and one "tired and emotional" cadet being tied firmly in his bed and this planted together with the rest of the contents of his room in front of SHQ for the OO to discover in the morning. There were some other hi-jinks but, perhaps judicious selective memory is called for - if I recite them perhaps the ghost of Mary Whitehouse will come back to haunt me or at least censor the posting.
I think it is a slight exaggeration to say that AOTS was "run by aircrew only staff (bar the DIs)",
Certainly the course commanders, CI & Station Commander were all aircrew - but please don’t discount the rest. Apart from the three Regt Sgt drill instructors there were the PFIs, and The Educators, not to mention both the SMO (Aviation Medicine - I recall a lesson in the decompression chamber) and the Chaplin (God Bothering; but I suspect that was not the name on the timetable).
Am I correct in thinking that during that era not all of the aspiring pilots went on the Primary Flying Squadron (PFS) course but, if they had what was deemed appropriate experience (eg PPL or CPL) they were posted direct to Basic Flying Training at Leeming, Linton or Syerston, probably via the Aircrew Holding Unit (AHU) at Topcliffe?
I remember most of the student names posted by cojones on 31st Jan 2010. A quick rack of my befuddled brain comes up with those appended below. I should be able to recall many more but their names temporarily elude me. My sincere apologies if I have got some of the names wrong. Perhaps I should have invested a few moments consulting an old copy of the Air Force List or the London Gazette - these would not of course have listed those who left before the course was completed but who were still our friends and comrades.
Does anybody have any Course or Syndicate group photographs?
Please also forgive my congenital deficiencies in spellink and gwammar together with the abandonment of any semblance of adherence to JSP101...
Some staff.....

Barratt, Sqn Ldr Course commander at AOTS. Perhaps of 246 White course.
Dennehy or Doughty, ?? Flt Lt Educ. AOTS. taught Maths, or were these two separate RAF educators?? Doughty might have been a Sqn Ldr who taught science?
Devey(spelling?) Sgt PFI at AOTS
Gibb, Ian? Flt Lt GD/N Syndicate leader. Ex Beverleys (& ULLA Trials) & perhaps Javelins?
Gilmore, Tom, Flt Lt Syndicate leader. GD/P perhaps ex Lightnings
Headland Sqn Ldr Educ. taught Maths/ Aerodynamics/ Science
Horsfall, Flt Lt John? GD/P.
Montgomery, Sqn Ldr Educ. taught English?
South, G J Gp Capt Gerry. GD/P Stn Cdr Church Fenton & Commandant AOTS in 1968. Pathfinder. After retirement from the RAF, I think he worked for the Officers’ Association.
Taylor, E A Wg Cdr GD/N Chief Instructor.
and some of the student officers/ cadets .......
3 Singaporean students, one or two junior officers plus two or three cadets. One of the cadets was Lim. I think one of the cadets was eventually to head up the Singaporean armed forces or perhaps just their air arm.
Briggs, Robert/Bob
Citrine, Roy GD/P, 256 White Course.
Cocking, R K (Keith) GD/N - 244 Blue Course.
Fox, John H. 246 white course
Garnons-Williams, John? 244 Blue Course
Greer, Alan/Al 244 Blue Course
Grybowski, (Spelling?) John (or perhaps Steven?)- 245 Course AOTS. His father was the ATCO at CF
Gunn, D C E Dave
Guyatt, D J (Dave) GD/P
Johnson, Ian
"Jonty" (Jonathan?) 245 Red Course. From an expat family that lived in Malta. Anyone remember his surname?
Martin, Philip
McNeil, J J James/Jim or John? GD/N 246? course
Myers, John R
Platt, Stuart
Scott, J M P (Mike) 245 Red Course
Smalley, EJ (Ted)
Tvedt, William (Bill) (Spelling?)
Whatmore, Alan G. 256 white course