PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tianjin Airlines
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2011, 03:08
pilotss2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on the expense of China

One question that is repeatedly asked is "What is the expense of China?"

Assuming you live a standard international life style: It is almost expensive or if you are planning Shanghai or Hong Kong - damn expensive.

Firstly, most people have an opinion that China is cheap. And it is. Its a home to cheap labor and cheap materials. If you intend to live like a Chinese farmer then yes you can live on 2 dollars a day.

There is a rapidly growing middle class and wealthy class. Imported and foreign items are taxed heavily even if they are produced in China. Luxury items are also taxed heavily. X3 or X4 the price you might see overseas.

Western restaurants have most of their food imported and take special care of their food for their clientele. $30-35 USD for one person dinner easily. There are second tier places that use the local food and then the college places where even now after several months it passes through me like a locomotive.

There is only one international clinic in the city and the contracting agencies' insurance are not qualified to use it. $3500/year for English speaking international doctors. UPDATE: A second international clinic is opening and from what I understand it will have a pay as you go option.

There are grocery stores like Walmart and Carrefour here but the quality and source of their food is terrible. You will use an international chain like Lotte, Hisense, or Schwartzkopff. These stores have imported food but you will pay the same or oven double the prices of your home country. (Its better than heaving or worse yet getting a funny growth in your liver 10 years later. Even the Chinese who can afford it import their food) You could even shop at the wet markets and get the cheapest prices. I don't know enough about where their food comes from to take that leap. There isn't a strong Food and Drug Administration here.

International Schools are wide ranging in prices. This depends on your tastes but international schools can be same priced or overpriced but never under priced from you current location.

Housing is comparable to a standard international city. If you want cheap you can get a cheap place with all sorts of smells.

I find Utilities are cheaper and service oriented labor cheap. A maid is very cheap but you will have to train them how to clean.

Given the salaries offered here you will make more than you could at home and you will be spending more than you would at home but you will have more in your pocket at the end of the month.

Do not expect to live here on 1000 USD/month.

Last edited by pilotss2001; 9th Jan 2012 at 08:38.