PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots warn about Turkish Airline in Danish news paper Politikken
Old 18th Dec 2011, 22:30
Prober

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out!

I have spent a few years based in Turkey. Indeed I agree, great country, food etc but that is not what this is about. I have been on the third seat and had to scream “Climb, Climb!” as, in the landing lights, I saw a pole with a ceramic insulator carrying the wireless aerial of a small farm pass just below us, this as a result of an old fashioned captain telling me to speak when I was spoken to, and not before. You can imagine the atmosphere on that flight deck! I have observed a captain ignore instructions to continue downwind until advised and thus cause considerable chaos at a major international airport. Also, approaching another major capital city airport at 5,000ft still at 300kts I have had a response from a trainee captain to whom I have posed the question as to what the controller will say next – “I don’t know. I am not the controller.” I have had to take control at 500ft when an F/O insisted on flying an IMC VOR approach with MAP displayed (although there was always a map shift at that airport) and I have witnessed actual violence on the flight deck from an old fashioned ex-military captain. I could go on but I expect you have all got better things to do. All these incidents were reported and acted upon. They were nothing to do with Turkey or THY and they ALL occurred in a well known western legacy carrier – so be careful if you want to throw stones!