PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots warn about Turkish Airline in Danish news paper Politikken
Old 15th Dec 2011, 23:48
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serafim Kamoutsis

It is unfair to blame an air-line Company examining only particular accidents, that in all Companys likey occur !!
In my humble opinion the AMS accident is not one that is likely to occur in all companies - in all companies that sort of accident is possible, but not likely. I also do not think it is likely to occur in THY in the near future although it is obviously possible.

When an accident occurs we have to look into the 'why' it occurred so as to develop stategies to minimise the risk of re-occurence.

My own suspicion (based on the fact that I lived in Turkey for 3 years as a teenager) is that culture has something to do with the whole ethos of CRM and training etc in any Turkish airline.

Please note that by the above statement I am not saying Turkish people are 'bad people' , just that the way their culture has developed may not have been condusive to the best of airline operating practices. Turkey is not alone in this.

My own country (UK) has had some terrible accidents which perhaps may have been preventable had it not been for the prevalent culture at the time. (The terrible Trident crash at Staines may be one example - although we will never know for sure)

I think we have to be 'inward looking' and objective about our airline culture (very difficult to do) in order to improve.

It is intelligent behaviour to learn fom others when appropriate. I expect that THY could teach many of us a thing or two - but also THY ( and others) may be able to learn from other carriers.

Anyway - all the best