PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2011, 21:33
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jabird

Sorry, but I just don't see that happening - I can marvel at the design drawings, but funding has got to come from private sources.
And I just don't see that happening. The basic infrastructure, like the island and rail/motorway network has to come from public funds, just like the proposed high speed rail to BHX and MAN is to be government funded. Some things are beyond private investment, which tends to look even shorter term than governments.

Beyond that, new hotels and even terminals may well be private enterprises. And I see no problem with that, just like the government provides motorways upon which private companies place (awful) service stations. (I hope new terminals will be better than Watford Gap.)

Beyond this parochial discussion, there is the problem ofnthe national debt, which has to be addressed at some point.

One way out of this dire situation, is to simply print loadsa-money and stoke inflation in order to cancel out all our debt. This will stoke inflation, but that is the whole point - ten years at 15% inflation will cancel out the government's debt and we can start again. In which case, creating money for vast projects like this can be beneficial.

But, but, but, I hear you say - borrowing money got us into this mess in the first palace. True, but if you spend the money on infrastructure, it will pay for itself. The trouble with New Labour is that they spent the money on social engineering and any non-productive project possible - all hail to the 'disadvantaged gravy train', while the productive elements in our society can either be taxed or go to hell. China, on the other hand, spent money on a massive re-engineering of the nation, and is powering ahead.

So a massive splurge of investment would effectively 'bankrupt the nation', to a point where you reset the economic system, stop printing money, and start again (the Deutsche Mark Point) - but start again with some massive infrastructure projects already completed and on-line. Sure, your private savings might be devastated, but if you still think that that £10,000 nest egg is really worth £10,000 then think again. If you are that gullible, I would strongly suggest that you spend the money now and enjoy it. Investing it is probematic in the extreme - houses are overpriced, shares are overpriced, the pound is overpriced, and so any investment is going to loose you money anyway.

Best face facts, that your £10,000 is only worth £2,000 and live with it. But lets have a 21st century aviation hub as a bonus.