PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest AAIB Report 12/2011 - Inadvertent brake application by PF on take off roll.
Old 10th Dec 2011, 17:41
frontlefthamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My best evidence, personally observed, is from seeing 'heels on the floor' pilots reject in the sim, especially with strong crosswind or a nasty swing such as from N1 seizure at a moderate speed on aircraft with wing-mounted engines.

This latter case can be particularly exciting if executed below the min speed for autobrake engagement... As one pilot put it in the debrief, "I realised I could keep straight but not stop, or had to decide to lose directional control to get to the brakes..."

If stopping suddenly is a possible operational requirement, it's up to the designers et al to provide an environment which allows the pilots to do that. In fact, some discussion here is of work-arounds to cheat the poor design, and that's bad news wherever you find it.

That some manufacturers put non-slip material or features on the pedals shows me that they don't believe sliding feet on them deliberately is part of the pilot's task either...