PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sid Marshall's DH.89
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 09:31
aroa

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
memories indeed... in late '58 I worked briefly as a 'go-fer' for James Air Services? Taxis, Wally James. He operated a couple of Miles "Gemini" twins.
I scored a couple of flights in them, one up to Tea Gardens nr Newcastle?.
He landed on a tidal flat and before taking off again he paced it out, digging his heels in to check the surface. And it was dog-leg take off run,too
Later he was wiped out? by the DCA crackdown on wooden aircraft.

I was learning to fly in those days and did Tiger spin training out of Bankstown, and soloed in a Champion Tri-Traveller.
It was certainly a hive of industry there then with Gannets, Vampires and all manner of lighties crowding the circuit.
Sid Marshalls was always a drawcard, Nakajima "Oscar", Me 109, DC2., DH 84 and other things with wings.
Also Drovers about and some civvy Mustangs. A Cierva Autogyro too, but I never saw it fly.
Unfortunately I never had a camera in those days.
About the last time I was at Bankstown was out of there in a Lyco re-engined Drover on a ferry flight to the New Hebrides. Again I was just a "helper" for the ferry fuel cocks, but got most of the stick time after airborne. I could tell it was going to be a long trip because on the climb out, we got passed by a C150.!
And by and by a cloud will take it all away.