PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 7th Dec 2011, 08:15
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tp et al...

Yes - cannot see it referring to Cadets, since it is a 2012 announcement / flying program issue.

nowhere does it mention pilots
3 x 747 is approx 50 pilot jobs at current establishment / fleet.

bmi acquisition if it goes ahead will be the next one, even if they keep all the crews BA are not going to be slot holding on minimal 319/20/21 routes! They'll convert as many as possible to new LH dests which is far more crew hungry! This will require more pilots than at the current plans!
I am pretty sure we will not be laying off bmi crews to replace with recruits Apart from the ethics / business (lack of) sense, the courts might just have something to say about it. And why would we convert the bmi slots to LH in such short order, when we currently fly many SH routes. Yes - it is an aim, but it will take time to establish the routes, aircraft, and most of all, invemestment in the aircraft.

P.s read this article!
Well, it contains some absolute errors in fact (e.g. re S Korea), so would not see it much other than a space filler, than a strategic "insight"

I would suggest this announcement was as much news to the recruitment team as it was to you and I, and will slow things down in the short / medium term. Particuarly if your desire / CV is for the 744. Oh, and from last time, there might even be some swaps of aircraft type i.e. recruited for / job offer for 744, turn up on Day 1 and find you are directed to an Airbus cockpit

But overall, it is not a massive game changer... just a slow down from something that seems pretty slow anyway. My concern is the bigger effect - a drift of investment / expansion to the MAD branch of IAG.