PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines to London/Gatwick
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2011, 08:53
AAIGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Busbert.. I think you're right.

David could slay Goliath, but it would have to be a southwest type model and it would need proper marketing. I've long thought that. Budget carrier, great website, easy booking, service reputation.. but that isn't HKA.

It's more like God vs Wingwong from Dalian who has no understanding how to do anything that isn't a group booking for a tour operator.

Its no secret I worked there 4 years ago.. it was progressive, grew from 1 airplane to about a dozen, but the SS came in and changed all that.. then it almost fell over and only had 2 planes a few months back.. now there are some 330's here.. I've seen nothing but protesting pax, engine failures and light loads.

Plans to fly 116 or so pax to London are just not economically viable. If they were to get a 380 with 30' seat pitch and 650 pax, I'd say they could make a go of it.

Their biggest ally, the mainland Hainan ownership, is their biggest liability.

Whilst we've all seen the Chinafication of Hong Kong, from my experience actually in China over 7 or so years, shows a gravitation towards Western ideals.

A carrier that could grasp both concepts is whats needed.

CX is not the answer.. CX ran by Air China.. maybe..
But that would swing too far East before they understood they were alienating the West.

But under the current mismanagement, the Chunts over @ HKA can barely sustain their losses, let alone deal with a new concept