PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX Resignations - pt 2
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 23:56
Komac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading through the threads and finally decided to comment Be nice though i'm new! I came through the Rex Cadetship program (so I'm one of 'those' people) which gave me a fine initial insight to the chaotic organisation that is Rex. Like most things in Rex AAPA seems to be run on the smallest minimum cost (believe me the food is the cheap stuff!) of staff and resources. That place turns out the quality product it does because of the dedication and hard work ethic of the staff and not because they are paid well or treated well. There were pluses and minuses but I did enjoy the cadet program and glad I made the choice.

I also do enjoy my work at Rex. I know I am new, and that's fine, and I do my best to try and learn from the Captains I fly with. Some people don't like the cadets, and I understand why and see it as just another part of the office politics.

So I like the job and the people. It has just really staggered me to see the moral level plummet so much over the last few months. Over the last 12 years I've worked for lots of companies, big and small, and if any of those had staff engagement problems like Rex does now, there would be management down on the ground trying to work it out and fix it. It astounds me how no one in the invisible management team seems to care. How hard would it be for one of the executive to come to each of the crew rooms once a month so staff could talk to them. They could even take turns! I worked for a multinational bank, and the ceo visited every floor once a month to do birthdays and award handouts. It worked wonders for morale.

I always try to stay positive and see things 'glass half full' but recently have had a couple of incidents involving ops, crewing and being stuffed around that make me wonder who runs this ship. Rex makes money. That's great. I'm sure all Rex staff are thankful for that. And i'm sure the shareholder(s)! is/are happy. Unfortunately though in the race to the bottom line no one wins. What price do we all pay for the share price.

As I said, I'm new. I'm still keen and very happy to be flying and for the opportunity to get into the RHS of a Saab. But even my partner, when I have come home and related some of the stories of what's been happening has asked "when are you going to work for a real airline?"

Rex runs on the good will of it's employees. How long until that well runs out?