PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2002, 02:28
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I do the Alpha thing AND wear foam plugs (the "popcorn of aviation" - thanks Nick!!).

There are several larger machines that are harmful to your hearing even when wearing a helmet, and as Nick said previously, ANR setups rarely cover the entire spectrum of a machine's emmissions. In fact, you may have to ensure that your ANR device is attuned to your particular machine for best coverage because the ANR can actually accentuate some frequencies.

As mentioned by others, I find the ear plugs result in a much clearer avionics reception, less fatigue, and I find it easier to detect unusal sounds. Crewmen on the other hand, can find that they do not allow enough radio/ICS volume through when they have their heads outside the machine, so they can be a hazard from that perspective. Lastly, when you start using them, ensure that any audio warning systems are loud enough to be detected, ie low RRPM, fire, etc.

Lastly, plugs can also be fed them to anoying pax!!

Stan GLS, you will find opposite points of view to your helmet comments on the other threads dealing with helmets that you posted on. As to the radio volumes - think of it like adjusting your seat & harness - just something to do when getting in a different machine: you get that.