PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 55.....or later?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 18:45
Il Duce

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Retirement at 55.....or later?

Evenin' all. Apologies if this has been thrashed before but here goes anyway.
In days gone by in HM Flying Club, if a WRAF got pregnant she was promptly shown the exit and that was that, no return to the Service, game over. If it was discovered that somebody was a homosexual they were out on their ear without question. Both situations have changed vastly since HMG have had to toe the line in the same way that civvy businesses have had to for far longer. It's the law, so there. Similarly, you didn't get a Married Quarter unless you were married (I recall having to show my marriage certificate to the Families Officer before the paperwork to secure a quarter was even taken out of the drawer). These days they're called Families Accomodation and marriage is not necessarily a factor in getting into one. Times change and we move with them (eventually.....sometimes). Yes, I'm getting to the point. I've signed on the dotted line to serve to age 55. Why should it end there? Public sector workers have been told that they can't retire at 60 any more, they have to push on to 65. Private companies and businesses have been told that they can't legally make their employees retire at 65. If I'm in good health, reasonably fit and still able to do my job to the required standard, why shouldn't I say to the powers that be that I'd like to continue doing that job until such time that I'm no longer able to or don't want to - even if I am, say, 60.
I know there'll be a can of worms opened over pensions and bronze handshake entitlements. Not to mention the point that I'll be filling a post and so causing a log-jam in the promotion stakes amongst the ranks below me. For all those barrack room lawyers out there, do you foresee anyone taking a legal stance on this and saying to the RAF, "Your 'contract' which says I must leave at 55 is not in line with other employers and I'm going to challenge you through an employment tribunal"?
At this stage I don't see myself doing any more than perhaps another 5 years beyond the 55 point; I'm simply looking at employment options to take me beyond that age.
Your opinions and comments, thank you.