PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The cost of balls out self funded, 0 to twin IR !
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 15:46
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming minimum hours, all the training in the UK, R22 @ £336 per hour inc VAT per hour for training and £300 per hour inc VAT for SFH, I reckon it's pushing £150k for FI and IR. I've allowed £45k for the IR in total and £6k for theory courses and exam and flight test fees.
and very good value it is too, flying and exams are easy (especiallly the IR), very little risk with loads of jobs at the end of it, all in all a very wise investment I would say, c'mon down lets get training!

although it has gone up slighly from the £40k nett, I paid in the 1990s, which got me PPL,FI,CPL (in that order) and in those days there was no need to pay for an IR as they were not generally required up front. and we had NVQ tax relief which knocked about £10k off and you could claim back VAT (hopefully you still can) that was good for about £7k.

I guess new people need daddys (or mummys) money again these days whereas we managed it ourselves at the time, although we did moan about it then too!

Last edited by Camp Freddie; 2nd Nov 2011 at 16:08.