PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 04:23
peuce

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
David 1300,

From reading your posts, you seem to have a cynical (but perhaps accurate) view of the public's view of Qantas.

That doesn't mean their view can't be changed.

If their view is as you see it, then they will indeed get a short term fix of cheap tickets... with the long term consequences of the drain I alluded to.

On the other hand, if they have (or can be convinced to have) a longer term interest in the national asset that is Qantas, they will fight for it.

The majority of Australians have seen manufacturing infrastructre disappear, sometimes with their jobs.
Doesn't mean I, or they, have to accept it. There's always a straw to break the camel's back. This issue may be it.

The major shareholders, who appoint the directors, who appoint the CEO, etc. The government has a say through legislation, and the public has a say through buying tickets or not.
Yes, and we are the Government. Not Abbott, not Gillard ... us. We have the power ... IF we choose to use it.

I take a more positive view of Australians' attitude ... and I hope I'm proven correct.

The important point to understand is that my position is a political position, not an industrial one. The 2-3% payrise and the extra coffee breaks and the extra photocopy paper will be determined in the FWA courtrooms. I think the company's direction is outside the scope of the FWA arena.

That issue will be played out afterwards ... in a political forum.

Do they pay more for Australian manufactured goods. NO - history shows this is not the case.
I think your generalisation is not correct in this case. I know many people, including myself, who have paid a premium for riding in a Qantas bus. Admittedly, that occurrence is reducing as the Qantas product has deteriorated.