PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corporate pilot lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 13:55
ksjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To qualify I am mostly familiar with this industry in the US but perhaps my remarks are relevant.

Some of these comments are fairly accurate, however, to a newbie the general tone might sound discouraging. Too bad, any job has a down side or ten, that's why we call it "work".

I've been at corporate aviation for 23 years. 3 jobs, at year 8 on current job; a GLEX position. All good jobs. All newish aircraft. Stayed in the same area the entire time. Worked for some very nice people who have all treated me with respect. Most other crewmembers I've worked with have been good team players but the 10% rule applies here as with anywhere.

It is assumed one can fly the plane safely. This is the easy part of the job.

The big thing with corporate, and the one thing some guys have a hard time adjusting to or coping with, is that the customer/boss/owner needs to be taken care of. We don't have to be a toady all day long but the job is defined by getting someone who's time is important to the destination as efficiently as we can. The guys who gripe about this are the same guys who don't understand this concept and usually those same guys bounce from job to job and make poor choices along the way. I've seen it many times and often hear it on this forum too.

I've never been an airline pilot but considering the state of that industry this decade, and the one before that, and the one before that... I'm glad.

Good luck.

Last edited by ksjc; 31st Oct 2011 at 14:19.