PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardinal RG take off
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2011, 08:00
Glen177RG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cardinal RG takeoff and landing

Thank you all for responding. I read each response a few times and took some advice from each of you.
Today I got in a half dozen circuits near dusk.
Flaps in at safe airspeed and positive rate above 200' seemed to earn an extra 10mph. Climbing to circuit height 800' at full power with the gear down, was comfortable provided the nose/ angle of attack was trimmed for 90-95mph.
the gear down during the climb, proved to be less of an anchor than I thought. I flew four circuits with gear extended.
I seemed to have lots of time, as opposed to being " busy" tweaking everything and looking for more speed.
In the climb, there is a big difference in air speed when the gear is up and the flaps are in, early, but point is well understood about being prepared for a mill failure, and being better ready with 10 flap and gear extended- should there be something to land on past the fence- This is BC though, and rugged is the norm or water is the other.
Manifold, Prop, then Mixture does make more sense in that order, and proved to be quicker to get the setting than a back and forth adjustment method I was doing before.
And finally trimming for the desired air speed in climb and approach made the work load easier.

approach at 90mph is the easiest landing for me to grease, there is lots of ground effect, and the time in ground is longer, touch down happens at or close to 80mph. Seem to be able to get my target each time after flaring over the thresh hold. the higher air flow seems to give everything lots more authority. The sink is slow and linear. (Throttle is idled at fence.)
Conversly;
I did try out a couple of 75mph 30 deg flap approaches. Slower on approach but less time in ground effect and the bottom seems to drop out quickly after the flare- resulting in a crow hop if you dont arrest the sink with lots of and very quick stabilator, and of course you hear the DWU speaking up as the touch down is app. 65mph, Adding more power helps arrest the sink , but Im not sure which method actually used less runway to a full stop- adding the power or at least keeping it on for the short /soft field adds some unwanted floating time, its easily more work. (1975 Model 177RG) Thanks again. G