PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardinal RG take off
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2011, 21:23
Glen177RG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cardinal RG take off

Hi,
I Hoping to gain some insight from others experience. I am a new pilot
and Im building hours on 200hp Cardinal Rg, that I co - own. Based on our checklist the take off sequence is something like this:
After rotation, at 60 mph, the a/s quickly tops out at 80 mph with full fine pitch and full throttle, gear down, 10 deg flaps. ( standard T/O from POH).

Normally, I confirm no useable runway, select gear up, wait the 12 seconds for gear to swing, then safe airspeed, positive rate then deselect flaps. After flaps travel inward the airspeed is now about 85- 90Mph

At this point I add in some pitch, to bring the rpm from 2700 rpm to 2500, then
bring back power, to 25" Then look for 17 gph fuel. per POH. This climb is yeilding about 85-90 MPH. and it feels slow

Here is the question- If you rotate and establish the 75- 80mph then adjust pitch to 2500Rpm as the first chore in the sequence you seem to be able to get up into the 100mph range quickley. ( I understand the prop is grabbing more air)
within a second or two, Swing the gear up and then have way more lift available due to the quicker speed. Maintaining a nice 110mph climb comes easily.

I believe airspeed 100- 105mph is more valuable than, a full fine pitch clean up sequence where 80 MPh is the max speed. This is based on feel and what feels like common sense.
Am I making a mistake? Or is there a reason I am not taking into account that would be more prudent/ safer to follow the slower initial flight sequence. VFR/ Day time. Hard surface.
Thanks in advance.

(Max gear swing speed is 140mph per POH)