PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Qantas grounded effective immediately.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 10:42
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keg said:
Supervisories and senior checks not locked out. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the senior checks resign though!
Let’s see how many do.

The main enemies of employees in the aviation industry aren’t management executives: The main enemies of those employees are other people who are prepared to be employed at a much lower price.

It will be unedifying to watch all the employees of other airlines in Australia - pilots, engineers, cabin crew and ground staff - now working harder, for the same money - to enable their employers and QANTAS executives to feast on the fat – let’s hope it’s not the carcass - of QANTAS.

I can recall the taxpayer spending lots of money, a decade and half or so ago, to keep QANTAS going. I agreed with that at the time, because I thought that the sacrifice of my and my family’s standard of living through the diversion of consolidated revenue to that purpose was for the public benefit. Now, unfortunately, QANTAS is a ‘brand’ that must be ‘protected’ by the executives of QANTAS, apparently for the purposes of ensuring that a small subset of people – not the taxpayers of course – are ensured increases in income, notwithstanding the absence of an equivalent increase in income for those who actually produce the service from which the income is derived.

I was given a piece of advice a couple of decades ago, and I recount it for what it’s worth: There’s no security in being employed; there’s only security in being employable.

At the time, and for a considerable period afterwards, I understood what that advice meant: If you’re qualified to do only one job, you’ll get paid whatever your employer, or another employer of the skills you have, is prepared to pay. There can be a background of awards and tribunals and all that stuff, but the outcome will eventually be the same.

The upshot is that if you’re not willing or able to go somewhere else and do something different, you’ll get paid whatever TF your employer decides you’ll get paid.

But then something finally dawned on me a few years ago (I’m a slow learner): only employees get told what they get paid.

Revelation: If you don’t like what you’re being paid by your employer, and you can’t find someone else to pay you what you want, then make the money yourself or STFU.