PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARBON TAX-It's Started!
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 02:07
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Just as the 10% tax on absolutely everything by many people's political hero (not mine though) John Howard didn't cost you your jobs, neither is the carbon tax. Industry will adjust and people will get used to it. I just hope, somewhat vainly, that they use it wisely and as it was intended.
No this is totally different.

A GST was only on the end product. Add to that the government also abolished many other taxes that were also in play at the time. There is no tax on fresh food either. So the actual cost of some products went down some went up by less than 10% and others went up by the full 10%. Business also claim the GST back on products they use to stop double taxing.

Now a Carbon tax will be on all inputs into a product, transport and sale of the product then they add GST.

So say you make tshirts that are 100% Australian. You buy cotton from farmers. They pay carbon tax on the production of the cotton. The fuel. The electricity etc. The cotton is trucked to your factory. Carbon tax on the fuel. You run a factory carbon tax on electricity. Carbon tax on everything trucked into the factory. You make your tshirt. It is then trucked again. Carbon tax on that. The retail shop, pays carbon tax on the electricity running everything in shop. Then you pay GST.

Now imagine this on everything you buy...........

Then it gets better.

After a few years they will go to a carbon trading scheme where Juliar says that they will allow the free market to set the price on carbon. Which is actually BS because Labor will be setting a price floor on the price of carbon. So it's not the free market at all. In fact by setting the price floor they have guaranteed the loss for everyone thereby encouraging Goldman Sachs et al you take more risk as they know that the price won't fall below $14 a tonne so that means they can take some calculated risk and that they will never lose 100% of their money.

In short:

The winners from the Carbon Tax/Trading Scheme
The Tasmanian Government
Large investment houses and people trading in carbon credits
The UN
The Chinese economy
Solar power/green technology companies

The loses:
Anyone in Australia below a upper middle class standard of living
The transport industry (ie us)
Large industrial manufacturing.

This tax will destroy the middle class in this country and totally destroy the economy. We will be importing everything including food as it will be cheaper to do so rather than buy Australian made.

In short the Greens/Labor will totally bugger up the country if this goes ahead as planned.

What I can't figure out is why? What is really in play here? I just don't get it.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 20th Oct 2011 at 03:52.