PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F111 Cockpit+Nose in yard at Blackbutt
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2011, 00:01
CoodaShooda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From Jason Clare MP's recent press release

“I’ve met with museum operators around the country and I understand how important it is that as many Australians as possible have access to this piece of Australia’s aviation history,” Mr Clare said.

“I have therefore decided that up to seven F-111s will be made available to Australian aircraft museums and other historical organisations.”

The aircraft will be loaned to museums so that Defence can continue to manage the risk of hazardous material in the aircraft like asbestos and will be subject to a number of conditions to ensure the safe preservation of the aircraft.

These include:

Housing the aircraft in a completely enclosed facility;
Ensuring members of the public are prevented from climbing into engine intakes and exhaust ducts;
Limiting, controlling and supervising public access to the cockpit;
Preventing the public from opening aircraft panels;
Supervising public access to the wheel well and weapons bays;
Completing specified preservation maintenance; and
Meeting Commonwealth auditing and reporting requirements.
As the aircraft were produced in the United States, organisations selected to display the aircraft will be subject to the approval of the US Government under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

Interested organisations will be asked to respond to a Request for Offer which will be released by Defence later this year.

F-111 aircraft will also be preserved at the following RAAF Bases across Australia:

RAAF Base Amberley, QLD (two aircraft);
RAAF Museum at Point Cook, VIC (two aircraft);
RAAF Base Edinburgh, SA (one aircraft); and
RAAF Base Wagga, NSW (one aircraft).